Frequently Asked Questions of Demolition Contractors in Waterloo, IA
How much does house demolition or building demolition cost? Can I get a "ballpark" estimate over the phone?
Home demolition, garage demolition, or commercial building demolition almost always require an on-site estimate because there are so many variables that affect the cost of demolishing a building. Factors that affect the cost of demolition include:
- Environmental issues, such as the need to remove asbestos or underground storage tanks, can significantly increase costs
- Material (brick, cinder block, wood, etc...) the building was constructed with.
- Debris disposal - hauling and landfill fees vary widely by location. Are there any salvageable materials that can be diverted from the landfill?
- Concrete demolition and removal of the foundation adds cost
- Square foot of the building and the number of stories for the house or building. Multi-level structures add to the cost of demolition.
- The need for excavation or site clearing and preparation
Do I need a permit for demolition?
Yes, permits are typically required. Depending on where you live, permits may be required by the city, county, and/ or state. Your local municipality may also have regulations related to notifications, noise, hours of demolition, disposal of the debris, etc... Your hired demolition contractor should be well informed about local regulations and will pull the permits on your behalf in most cases, but be sure to clarify up front with the contractor all the services they will perform.
Does my home or building need to be inspected for hazardous materials like asbestos or lead paint prior to demolition?
Most states require that older homes or buildings be inspected for the presence of asbestos, lead paint, and other hazardous materials prior to being demolished. If your home or building contains hazardous materials that need to be removed, proper procedures for abatement need to be followed. Your hired demolition contractor may offer this service or work with an environmental remediation specialist to complete the removal of hazardous materials.
What services do demolition contractors perform?
Demolition companies have varying degrees of experience and may specialize in different services based on their equipment and level of expertise. Check the demolition services offered by the contractors above to find a match for your project.
- Interior demolition or selective demolition - Soft or "Hand" demolition crews tearing down walls, kitchens, bathrooms, flooring, etc... prior to a renovation project.
- Residential - Demolition of a house, garage, shed, retaining wall, deck, or other residential building (typically less than 3 stories) and usually achieved with hydraulic excavators and bull dozers.
- Commercial and Industrial - Wrecking services for larger jobs and larger buildings. May require a wrecking ball or controlled (explosive) demolition.
- Concrete Removal - Concrete demolition and removal of driveways, foundations, patios, sidewalks, etc...
- Swimming Pool Removal - Swimming pool demolition and removal
- Hazardous Material Removal - asbestos abatement and removal along with other hazardous materials like lead paint.