Ask your contractor if they’re going to handle the permitting process.
In New York, no demolition can be done without having applied for and obtained a permit from the Department of State. However, it’s common for demolition contractors to handle this somewhat complicated process for the homeowner.
If you’re left in charge of getting a permit, here’s what your application should include:
- Applicant or authorized agent’s signature
- Description of the site on which the proposed work is to be done
- Statement of the use/occupancy of all parts of the land and the proposed structure
- Brief description of proposed work
- Full name and address of owner and applicant
- 3 sets of plans for the proposed work
- Applicable fee (refer to page 5 of the rules and regulations)
Have a licensed asbestos expert inspect your property for asbestos.
Before demolition takes place, a structure must be surveyed for hazardous materials. According to New York state law, any contractor planning to abate or disturb asbestos-containing material must be licensed.
There are 9 types of licenses, including:
- Asbestos handler
- Restricted asbestos handler
- Air sampling technician
- Management planner
- Operations and maintenance
- Project monitor
- Project designer
When having your home inspected, ensure that the expert you hire is properly licensed.
Learn more: Demo A to Z: A Guide to Demolition in NYC
Dumpsters are a great way to contain demolition debris.
Many contractors may include the price of hauling in their quote for demolition, so be sure to ask when calling around to different companies. However, if they don't, you'll likely have to haul the debris to a landfill yourself or rent a dumpster to have another company haul it away for you.
Hometown Dumpster Rental is the easiest way to find a reliable local dumpster provider near you. You can read up on various companies, see what past customers have to say about their services, and contact them directly—all in one convenient place.
If you're a first-time renter, learn more about dumpster pricing
and dumpster sizing
to ensure you get the best deal on your dumpster rental.